Three things you need to know:
- All graduates participating in the Commencement Exercises must wear academic regalia, which may be rented or purchased. ROTC candidates, please see below.
- If you do not intend to rent or purchase your regalia from the Coop (i.e., if you already own regalia or plan to borrow it from a friend), you still need to indicate your regalia plans online. If you are renting or purchasing your regalia either online or in-person at the Coop, the order system will capture this information; no further steps are needed after placing your order.
- The regalia ordering system and the Commencement ticketing system are linked. You’ll be cleared for ticket pick-up as soon as your name is on the degree list and you have proof of your regalia purchase or rental. Please see the information below about picking up tickets.
Air Force, Marine, and Navy ROTC candidates may wear the prescribed dress uniform instead of academic regalia, provided they have spoken with their respective commanders and have been given the correct rank to wear with their service dress. If you've been approved to wear your dress uniform, please notify us online.
Ordering your regalia
Regalia orders are placed through the MIT Coop either online or in person.
Regalia may be ordered online Monday, April 3 through Saturday, April 22*.
You will need to provide your height (in feet and inches) and weight. This online converter is a useful tool for converting from the metric system.
*If you find that you are unable to submit an online regalia order and/or receive error messages, please check with the Registrar’s Office. Should you miss the April 22 deadline, you may order your regalia in person for an increased fee May 30 through June 9. Please see the in-person ordering information below.
You may order your regalia in-person on the following dates:
- Monday, April 3 through Saturday, April 22 at the MIT Coop in Kendall Square (orders will be taken during regular store hours)
- Tuesday, April 18 through Friday, April 21 at the Stratton Student Center (10 am–4 pm each day)
Regalia orders should be placed no later than Saturday, April 22. If you do not reserve your regalia before Saturday, April 22, a number of extra gowns will be available on a first-come, first-served basis (in person only) from Tuesday, May 30 through Friday, June 9 for an increased fee (see chart below).
Rental and purchase fees
|Item||Rental fee||Purchase price||Price May 30 through June 9|
|Black Bachelor’s gown||$43 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)||$226 for gown; $42 for cap||$68 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)|
|Black Master’s gown||$43 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)||$265 for gown; $42 for cap||$68 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)|
|Black Doctoral gown||$43 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)||$68 (includes cap and tassel to be kept as souvenirs)|
|MIT Doctoral degree regalia (gray faille gown with red velvet front trim and sleeve bars; includes octagonal tam of gray faille with a red tassel)||$175** (includes tam to be kept as a souvenir)||$719^ for gown; $88 for tam|
Doctoral candidates: Please note that you do not have to order an academic hood—your hood will be presented to you at the Hooding Ceremony.
**A limited number of gray faille Doctoral gowns are available for rent on a first-come, first-served basis.
^ Orders for Doctoral degree regalia purchase must be placed by Saturday, April 29 to guarantee receipt in time for MIT Commencement. You may order one in person at the MIT Coop in Kendall Square or download the order form and submit by email. Online ordering option is not available.
Regalia rental pick-up
You may pick up your regalia on the following dates:
- Tuesday, May 30 through Thursday, June 8 at the MIT Coop in Kendall Square during store hours
- Friday, June 9 at the MIT Coop in Kendall Square beginning at 7 am (note: for peace of mind, please pick up your regalia in advance of Commencement Day)
Regalia rental return
Deadline to return regalia to the MIT Coop in Kendall Square: Saturday, June 17 at 6 pm. Failure to return by this time will result in a charge equal upwards from a late fee to the full value of the regalia.
All graduates must indicate their regalia plans online. If you don’t complete this step, you won’t be able to pick up your tickets.
|REGALIA PLANS||NEXT STEPS|
1. I’ve purchased or rented regalia from the MIT Coop
Bring your MIT ID when you go to pick up your tickets—no other action is needed.
|2. I already own regalia or am borrowing from someone I know||Along with your MIT ID, bring a picture of you wearing the regalia when you go to pick up your tickets. A picture in your phone is fine.|
3. I’m an ROTC candidate and plan to wear my dress uniform
Along with your MIT ID, bring a picture of you wearing your dress uniform when you go to pick up your tickets. A picture in your phone is fine.