Commencement security information for guests
Specific security arrangements, procedures, and instructions are finalized in the days leading up to Commencement and Hooding, so we advise guests to visit these pages again for the most up-to-date information.
Metal detectors will be in place at the entrance to Killian Court. It will be helpful to discuss security measures with the members of your party ahead of time so everyone knows what to expect. Guests are advised to pack lightly for the day because all items taken into Killian Court are subject to search—the less you are carrying, the more quickly your party will be able to proceed through security.
The following items are PERMITTED in Killian Court:
- Snacks and beverages in plastic or paper/cardboard packaging.
- Plastic bottles, juice boxes, and disposable coffee cups are all ok. For your convenience, water is available free of charge inside Killian Court.
- Diaper bags and related items (formula, juice boxes, wipes, creams, diapers, toys, etc)
- Purses or similar, personal small bags, including tote bags and briefcases. Personal bags of this nature should be no larger than 16x16x6 inches (or approximately 40x40x15 centimeters)
- Reading material, whether printed or electronic (Nook, Kindle, iPad, etc)
- Laptops and tablets
- Personal medical supplies
The following items are PROHIBITED in Killian Court:
- Bags with wheels
- Bags whose size exceeds 16x16x6 inches (or approximately 40x40x15 centimeters)
- Wrapped gifts
- Glass bottles and containers
- Firearms, knives (including pocketknives), and other weapons
- Scissors and other sharp objects
- Mace, pepper spray, or similar substances
- Drones of any size
Please consider the appearance of some objects, such as key ring tools/accessories, and leave anything that could be perceived as dangerous at home or in your hotel room. Prohibited items will be confiscated and not returned.
Service animals are welcome at Commencement, but no other pets of any size will be permitted inside Killian Court. Further, we discourage balloons or anything else that would block others’ view of the ceremony. Guests may carry an umbrella, but open umbrellas are not permitted while seated.
Guests are advised to carry government-issued ID (such as driver’s licenses, state ID cards, or passports).
Updated May 23, 2017