The Commencement 2023 ceremonies are scheduled for May 31, June 1, and June 2. Information will continue to populate this site as details are confirmed.
For detailed information, please see the guest FAQ. A few tips and highlights:
- Make sure that your entire party, including your graduating student, is prepared and coordinated. Think about how you will communicate with each other; make sure you have mobile phones and maps with meeting points. MIT is a big place. It will be crowded. Clarify your plans and expectations.
- Be sure you communicate with your graduate about tickets.
- In regard to security, please consider the appearance of some objects, such as key ring tools/accessories, and leave anything that could be perceived as dangerous at home or in your hotel room. Security arrangements are finalized in the days leading up to graduation: we recommend visiting the Security page for the most up to date information.
- Watch (and dress for) the weather! Outdoor ceremonies will be held outdoors unless conditions are dangerous. If it rains, please wear weatherproof clothing with a hood. Comfortable shoes that are waterproof and have some traction will be helpful. If it’s hot, wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses. Water will be available. You may carry an umbrella with you, but open umbrellas are not permitted while guests are seated, as they tend to hurt people and block others’ views.
- Ceremony venues are smoke-free environments. Please plan accordingly.
Graduation is a special event, one that is personal to each family present. Please know that our primary concern is the comfort, health, and happiness of our graduates and their guests. We provide this information to help you plan, but it is the courtesy that our guests show each other that carries the day. We look forward to celebrating with you.